In this session, the Global Digital UX and Design teams present an in-depth look at the Web Accessibility principles and tactics that directly apply to the design of accessible maps and visual assets. Topics covered include:
- why the work is important,
- how to meet guidelines when using colors, text, and images,
- what to consider when styling maps, and
- tools to use to determine the accessibility of assets.
This session is designed for visual designers, map designers or anyone who works with these folks. It was led by Laura Chang, Associate Director of User Experience, and Sarah Peng, Digital Designer and recorded on January 27th, 2021.
Recording w/ Transcript
Zoom recording w/ integrated transcript. Passcode: WVs$X2aY Zoom Link w/ Transcript
- Webaim Contrast Checker - Free, online color contrast calculator
- Contrast Checker - Free, online with grayscale
- WCAG Contrast checker - Firefox addon
- Color Contrast Analyzer - Chrome extension
- Web Accessibility Checklist - Download a printable one-page checklist to easily share web accessibility guidelines with external designers, developers, and cartographers.
- Web Accessibility Guidelines - Learn the guidelines and principles of web accessibility
- Web Accessibility 101 GDU - Watch our Web Accessibility 101 GDU or download the deck